Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Issue Two: NOAA?

NOAA TEACHER AT SEA
CATHRINE PRENOT FOX
ONBOARD NOAA SHIP OSCAR DYSON
JULY 24 – AUGUST 14, 2011

Personal Log
As my date of departure nears, I have been having a lot of conversations about what the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is, what I will be doing in Alaska, and what a Teacher at Sea does.  The best way to answer your questions is through another cartoon.


Adventures in a Blue World.  Issue 2.  Cathrine Prenot Fox, 2011
The official title of my mission is "NOAA's Alaska Fisheries Science Center for their Walleye Pollock Survey aboard NOAA Ship Oscar Dyson."  (Say that ten times fast.)  The Teacher at Sea goals also align with some of NOAA's Enterprise Objectives: 1) An engaged and educated public with an improved capacity to make scientifically informed environmental decisions; and 2) Diverse and constantly evolving capabilities in NOAA's workforce.

To read more about NOAA, check out their website:  http://www.noaa.gov/  A peruse through just the headlines will teach you about 'elusive basking sharks,' why evenings are getting warmer, what to expect for solar flares in 2013 (a lot!) and how NOAA satellites are tracking wildfires across the west.  Pretty interesting.  

In the meantime, I am packing up for the trip of a lifetime: warm layers, my trusty binocs, and, of course, some anti-seasickness precautions, which I'll be discussing in my next cartoon.

Until our next adventure,
Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment