Friday, September 30, 2011

Issue Fourteen: Late Night Television

NOAA TEACHER AT SEA
CATHRINE PRENOT FOX
NOAA SHIP OSCAR DYSON
JULY 24 – AUGUST 14, 2011



Personal Log:
Late night television=brain torture.  I think late night t.v. might be designed to shrink brain neurons: shopping networks, exercise shows, self help and reality programs.  Some studies have even linked watching late night t.v. to obesity and sleep deprivation.  I'd rather stab myself with a butter knife than be trapped on a couch watching a self help guru in the middle of the night...  ...On the Oscar Dyson, though?  You couldn't drag me away from the 4:30 a.m. screen, as it shows a live feed of the floor of the ocean 100 meters below us.

The camera drops were just one part of the night-time research aboard the Oscar Dyson.  Dr. Jodi Pirtle, a post doctoral research associate at the University of New Hampshire Center for Coastal and Ocean Mapping, utilized her lab hours to explore and document "untrawlable" portions of our survey area.  Rocky bottoms, pinnacles, shelves... ...all make it difficult to drop a net down to get an accurate reading of groundfish diversity and abundance without destroying the net.

Throughout the night the ship maneuvers tight turns to provide high resolution acoustic signals of the bottom.  My fellow Teacher at Sea, Staci DeSchryver, describes the ship's movements as akin to "lawn mowing."  My father, watching the NOAA ship tracker online after one of these sessions, asked if the captain had had one too many cocktails (absolutely not, by the way).  These turns, in addition to making me sleep like a baby, provide an overlapping and highly accurate map of the ocean floor.  Below is a multibeam image of a seamount (underwater mountain) mapped during the 2004 Gulf of Alaska Seamount Expedition.  
"In this multibeam image of Ely Seamount, the caldera (aka the Crater of Doom) is visible at the apex of the seamount." Image courtesy of Jason Chaytor, NOAA
Adventures in a Blue World.  Issue 14.  Cathrine Prenot Fox, 2011.
After a night of intensive napping, I mean mapping, I go on shift at 4am.  I know I have mentioned this before, but I have the best job in the world: my first task in the morning is helping with camera deployment.  I am sure you will agree after checking out Issue 14 that several camera drops equal the best Late Night T.V. I have ever seen (Cartoon citations 1 and 2). 

Until our next adventure,
Cat





Retrieving the camera. Snakehead.
Not to be redundant, but the best job ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment